Computers and Mobile Devices Education
Unlike most OLLI courses, which last an entire semester, computer (laptops, notebooks or desktop) and mobile device (smartphones or tablets) classes are presented in a variety of formats. Three class sessions are in this semester: first four weeks (Session 1), middle four weeks (Session 2) and last four weeks (Session 3). A computer or mobile device course may be offered in any one of the sessions, or the more popular courses may be offered more than once (repeated) during the semester to give members more opportunities to take the course. Some classes extend for eight weeks, bridging sessions 1-2 or 2-3. Workshops are being offered in one or more sessions, so members may select the classes that suit their interest and time availability.
Registration Procedures for Computer and Mobile Device Classes
Due to space limitations and the popularity of computer and mobile device classes, pre-registration in the OLLI office is required for most tutorials, workshops and regular classes. Registration is not required for the Open Labs. Modest course lab fees are charged for classes that use computers due to the need to maintain hardware, software and other equipment in the computer labs. See class descriptions for specifics on fees.
Pre-registration for all computer classes begins on August 28, two weeks before the beginning of the semester.
Session 1: September 11-October 6
Session 2: October 9-November 3
Session 3: November 6-December 8
How to register for a computer or mobile devices class:
- Pick up a four-colored carbonless Computer Class Pre-registration form in the OLLI office and fill it in COMPLETELY.
- Ask the office to stamp the date and time on the form because, in many instances, first-come-first-served may be the basis for participation if a class is oversubscribed.
- Office staff will keep the top (white) copy of your completed date/time-stamped form.
- Take the remaining date/time-stamped copies of the form to the first class meeting and obtain a signature from the instructor. Instructors will work with you to determine if the class is appropriate for you.
- Take the instructor-signed forms to the OLLI office and make your payment. Be sure the OLLI office signs off that you have paid. They will keep the yellow copy of the form.
- Give the pink copy of the form to the instructor as a record that you have paid. The goldenrod copy is your receipt for payment.
The Computer Education Committee (CEC) invites your participation in enriching our current and future curricula, especially if you would like to share your expertise. Please attend our monthly meetings on the first Thursday of the month at 3:30 p.m. in Room 20.
Chair : Bob Newcomb Vice-Chair : Warren Wilson