[Note: These suggestions for vendors does not mean that California State University Fullerton endorses these vendors.]
Local art supply vendors:
- Art Supply Warehouse is a small store stacked to the gills with art supplies.The staff is usually knowledgeable and friendly and you could spend hours browsing the place. We get most of our mat board here. Prices are usually quite good and they often have great sales advertised in the local newspapers. Store hours: Mon - Fri 9am -8 pm, Sat & Sun 10 am - 6 pm.
6672 Westminster Blvd.
Westminster, CA 92683
- Utrecht/Dick Blick in Fullerton is a recently established store near campus. Their prices for watercolor paints is high but they are conveniently located and often have sales where there are 40% discounts on items. Store hours: Mon - Fri 9 am - 7 pm, Sat 9 am - 6 pm, Sunday 11 am - 6 pm.
601 North Placentia Ave
Phone: (714) 528-8790
Fax: (714) 528-2606
Online art supply vendors:
- Art Supply Warehouse Express has been a recent supplier for this workshop because their prices and selections are good. They also guarantee that if you find the same item they carry on another website that they will match its price and give your a $10 certificate for your next purchase. If you subscribe to their email list, there are weekly sales. http://www.aswexpress.com/
- Cheap Joe’s Art Supplies has been the main online supplier for this workshop.Their prices are good, the website is very complete with information on each item, and the owner is also a watercolorist. http://www.cheapjoes.com/
- Jerry’s Artarama has a wide array of supplies, especially for student grade supplies with good prices. http://www.jerrysartarama.com
- Daniel Smith is a supplier of professional watercolor paints and other professional art supplies.They have high quality materials with a lot of information about each of their products. Our instructor favors their paints. http://www.danielsmith.com/
- The Italian Art Store has professional quality supplies, prices aren’t as good as Cheap Joe’s, but they often carry certain supplies that other vendors do not. http://www.italianartstore.com/store/index.html
- New York Central Art Supply was suggested as a source of hard to find pens and papers by Judy Schroeder, watercolor artist and owner of the Schroeder Gallery and Studio in nearby Orange. They have limited items available online but you can download their catalog. http://www.nycentralart.com/
Watercolor Instructional sites:
Email your coordinator if you find sites that should be added and include a short description and comment about its usefulness.
- Cheap Joe's short online videos for basic watercolor techniques. http://www.cheapjoes.com/artist-resources
- Useful descriptions of brushes, paints, tutorials on watercolor painting techniques, other links to watercolor instructional sites. https://watercolorpainting.com/index.htm
- Susie Short ‘s web site has numerous tips for achieving certain qualities of watercolor paintings that may be useful, especially for beginners.http://www.susieshort.net/watercolor-tips.html
- A comprehensive website on watercolor media, papers, brushes, palettes, techniques, and color theory BY Bruce MacEvoy. It has links and scholarly description of the various pigments and qualities of paints, color theory, etc. : http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html
- Watercolor tutorials at: http://www.watercolorpainting.com/watercolor-tutorials.htm It's too bad these aren't videos but their website has many photos of basic techniques and more advanced techniques in watercolor. This website is full of explanations on how to create watercolor paintings, step-by-step instructions, and links to other websites that include tutorials.
- The Painted Prism is watercolorist Pat Howard's website. It has good ideas for projects to learn specific watercolor techniques and produce a beautiful painting at the end of an exercise. http://thepaintedprism.blogspot.com/
- If you're interested in putting together color charts of your palette, check this site for creating a relatively unique version that would provide information about the transparency of a color, its range of values, and the colors produced by mixing with other colors in your palette. Be sure to click on the arrow in the box on the right of the image to view the process for creating the chart. http://www.flickr.com/photos/artbydabs/854500371/in/set-72157600909898359/
- A pay-for-view website of demonstration videos can be accessed at the Artistnetwork.tv website: https://www.artistsnetwork.tv/
- A website for downloading a free application to superimpose a grid on a photo for accurate transfer and re-sizing of an image is at AccuraSee. Click on the download for Mac or PC: http://www.accurasee.com/photo_grid_inst.html
- Laguna Outreach Community Arts (LOCA) has art classes and other events in galleries and facilities in Laguna Beach: http://www.locaarts.org/events/category/painting/
Download useful handouts:
These handouts may be useful to those who are beginning watercolor painters that were created by a former OLLI watercolor instructor, Peg Simmons: